Search Manic Mark's Blog

Thursday, June 1, 2017

The Frank Moore Four

Night Train
The Frank Moore Four
Produced by Dave Cavanaugh
Capitol Records T1127
1959

From the back cover: The Frank Moore Four has been riding high since 1951, the year of the group's birth in Philadelphia. All its members are in their cage twenties, and display an extraordinary amount of musicianship for their years. The quartet can fairly claim the ability to sound like any big band or combo ever heard... or else go down laughing in the attempt. One of their favorite tricks, while playing a recent forty-week engagement for Jack Entratter at Las Vegas' Sands Hotel, was to spot a musical entering the lounge and switch their tune into his style of singing or playing. Thus many top names in the music industry became enthusiastic promoters of the four, and the public at large quickly joined in the applause.

Originally the group consisted of Frank, who plays bass, Dale on reeds, and Scotty on drums. They needed a fourth, and tried out over thirty accordionists before settling on Richie.


From Billboard - February 16, 1959: The group scores well with their first album effort on a lightly swinging series of tunes. Selections are nicely varied and the crew has an original, fresh sound. The LP can move in both pop and jazz marts if exposed. Fine, new talented group.

They Can't Take That Away From Me
Manhattan
Flamingo
How About You?
Don'cha Go 'Way Mad
Take The "A" Train
Night Train
Frenesi
I'm Beginning To See The Light
I'll Never Smile Again
Things Ain't What They Used To Be
There Will Never Be Another You

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this. The sax player was my cousin Dale.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Frank Moore was our mentor and manager.He treated my brother Ed & I like we were his kids.
    He taught us to be entertainers.I will never forget what he taught us and how good he was to my brother and I.
    Jay Stanojev

    ReplyDelete
  3. my exhusband Artie Schroeck and me (Lynda Gregory) were with Frank Moore after his band broke up We went to Las Vegas with him and we were 4 plus me. We worked the Thunderbird end of 1964 Artie became a big time arranger for many famous groups such as the 4 Seasons Did the arrangement for "Cant take my eyes off of you. etc. Just thought you might want to know

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i amunable to buy this lp, on a very tight disability income.
    would you please share a rip of this to me. i would love to have it and you really apreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. not trying to be rude when i say......is it not possible to respond yes or no to my last comment that did not get posted.
    if your ignoring my request is your way of saying no....it's not working and is rude.....and i have not been rude.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment. For a variety of reasons, I do not and can not share files.

      Delete
  7. so you like to post stuff and make people like me look but can't have......real nice man.......keep your stinkin lp

    ReplyDelete

Howdy! Thanks for leaving your thoughts!