Search Manic Mark's Blog

Sunday, December 2, 2012

Jivin' The Vibes - Lionel Hampton

Jivin' The Vibes
Lionel Hampton And His Orchestra
RCA Camden CAL-402
1957

Tracks are found online for purchase/download, so I won't be posting an example here.

From the back cover: "I'll (Hampton) tell you where the beat comes from," he told an interviewer several years ago. "Ever heard a revival meeting? Vibrations goes around and gets into everybody. In Little Rock, Arkansas – I went to one. There was a trumpet, a tambourine and a piano. The pastor of the church, he danced all around the congregation. Started at 8:30 and at 10:30 everybody was going in unison and then – I was dancing with 'em. "On the stage it's all spiritual too. You feel that beat in your soul and the audience – just like a looking glass. The audience has to reflect that beat."

This is a collection of Hampton recordings from 1937 - 1939.

Side one

I Know That You Know
Drum Stomp
Muskrat Ramble
Baby, Won't You Please Come Home
Piano Stomp
Jivin' The Vibes

Side two

High Society
It Don't Mean A Thing
Shoe Shiners Drag
I'm In The Mood For Swing
The Object Of My Affections
Buzzin' 'Round With The Bee

No comments:

Post a Comment

Howdy! Thanks for leaving your thoughts!